A study recently came out that found that almost 60% of employees feel more productive in a cozier workplace. It makes sense when you think about it—if you feel comfortable and at home in your workspace, you’re more likely to be motivated to get things done.
Workers in a comfortable environment had lower levels of the stress hormone cortisol. This is important because high cortisol levels can lead to health problems such as anxiety, depression, and heart disease. Employees who are less stressed are more likely to be productive and take fewer sick days.
Moreover, employees who were in a comfortable environment were more creative than those who were not. This is because when we are satisfied, we feel safe and secure, which allows us to take risks and think outside the box. So how can you make your office more comfortable and cozy? Here are some excellent ideas:
Physical Space and Design
When considering how to make your office cozier, it’s important to first focus on the physical space and design. Employees spend most of their day in the office, so you want to ensure it’s a place where they feel comfortable and can be productive. Consider these factors:
- Natural light: Research has shown that natural light is essential for employee productivity and well-being. If possible, add more windows or skylights to your office space. If that’s not an option, try to maximize the amount of artificial light.
- Natural elements: Studies have shown that being around nature can reduce stress levels, increase productivity, and boost creativity. Adding a modern bioethanol fireplace insert in the common area can bring the outdoors inside. This will make the space more inviting and cozy. You can also add plants throughout the office.
- Greenery: Adding plants to your office can help improve air quality and boost employee morale. Studies have also shown that looking at greenery can help reduce stress levels.
- Color scheme: The colors you use in your office can have a significant impact on employee mood and productivity. Avoid using too much white or blue when choosing a color scheme as they can create a feeling of coldness or sadness. Instead, try incorporating warmer colors like yellow or orange, which will create a more welcoming atmosphere.
Company Culture and Values
Your company culture and values play a significant role in making your office feel cozy. Employees want to work for a company that shares their values and where they feel like they are part of a community. Here are some ways to create a cozy company culture:
- Create an open-door policy: An open-door policy fosters transparency and helps build trust between employees and management. This type of environment makes employees feel comfortable coming to their boss with questions or concerns without feeling like they will be penalized for doing so.
- Encourage employee input: When employees feel like their voices are heard, they are more likely to be engaged in their work and committed to the company. This can be done by holding regular team meetings where employees are encouraged to share their ideas or by conducting surveys regularly.
- Promote work/life balance: Everyone needs time away from work to recharge their batteries. Promoting a healthy work/life balance will create an environment where employees feel appreciated and supported. Some ways to promote work/life balance include offering flexible scheduling options, encouraging employees to take vacation days, and providing access to on-site childcare facilities.
Adding Comfy Furniture & Décor Items
Making your office cozy doesn’t have to stop at the physical space and company culture—you can also add some fun furniture and décor items! Here are some ideas:
- Fuzzy blankets: A blanket can add warmth and comfort to any space. Fuzzy blankets are incredibly cozy because they add texture and visual interest while still being soft and inviting.
- Throw pillows: Throw pillows are another great way to add comfort to your office space. They come in all shapes, sizes, colors, and patterns, so you can easily find ones that fit your décor style.
- Comfy chairs: Investing in comfortable chairs is essential for both employees and clients alike. No one wants to sit in an uncomfortable chair for long periods, so ensure your chairs are ergonomic and offer support in all the right places. You might also consider adding some beanbag chairs or recliners for extra relaxation during break times!
The bottom line
Creating a cozy office environment is important for attracting and retaining employees as well as boosting productivity levels. By focusing on the physical space, and company culture, and adding some fun furniture & décor items, you can transform your office into a warm & inviting place that everyone will love coming into each day!